The purpose of this assignment is to understand that the comparison and contrast rhetorical strategy is an everyday practice, which develops critical thinking skills. Once we fully understand the comparison and contrast rhetorical strategy, we can adequately analyze two essays at the same time, focusing on thematic, structural, and stylistic elements. This exercise improves our critical thinking skills, composition skills, and communication skills by forcing us to develop and discuss complex concepts.
- Create an academic essay of at least three full pages of text (no more than five full pages of text).
- Create a works cited page that adheres to MLA guidelines. This works cited page does not count towards the assignment’s length.
- Apply the comparison and contrast rhetorical strategy.
- Apply MLA formatting to the essay: 12 pt. Times New Roman font, double-spaced, 1” margins, last name and page number in the upper right hand corner, and a heading including your name, class, instructor’s name, and date. Also include a title.
- Apply basic composition skills: topic sentences, thesis statement, logical and effective organization, effective integration of sources, transitions, and incorporating appropriate content.
- Understand and apply standard written English. Use appropriate vocabulary and avoid mechanical and grammatical errors.
- Incorporate an appropriate amount of textual evidence from the essays under analysis. (You must include textual evidence. Use correct attribution and in-text citations.)